Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:15:16 +1100 (EST)

Richard B. Johnson wrote the following:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
> > And what is the difference between static linking, and dynamic
> > linking that requires a specially distributed shared library that
> > must be used?
> >
> > I fail to see the difference. If the shared library isn't the
> > one that everything else on the system uses, then IT ISN'T
> > SHARED. In other words, if commercial program A required library
> > B to be used, and only program A is using it, then nothing is
> > sharing the library, and the application might as well statically
> > link in the first place as it will consume the same resources,
> > and perhaps be a bit slower due to dynamic linking.
>
> Vendor X has no idea what shared libraries exist in/on your system.
> To make certain that Vendor X's executable works, he provides some.

What pissed me off was not so much that it used it's own glibc but
because it would not let me use mine.

What they should've done is had the setup program say

glibc 2.0.7 could not be found on your system. It is recommended that you
use glibc 2.0.7 with Star Office. This version of glibc has been provided
with this release of Star Office. Please read X for details of how to
install and exit the setup now. If you wish to have Star Office use
the curreently installed version of glibc then simply continue.

Would you like to exit and install glibc 2.0.7 or continue regardless? (x/c)

Simple. I would've chosen continue and if it worked, cool. If not, well
then... 'damn' and be pissed off about that. then I either choose to live
with it (and think dark thougts at Star) or try and get their glibc installed
for star offices use without breaking the rest of the system.

It's my computer. It should be my choice.

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

An electricity provider of New Hampshire, US has advised it's customers that in the event of a power failure they can log on to its website for more information... - Paraphrased from the New Scientist, Feb 6, 1999