Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:15:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 03:25:11PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > Alex,
> > It comes with its own C-library. It doesn't need to use yours. You
> > put their c-library where they say it should be, modify environment
> > variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include theirs, add their library directory
> > to ld.do.config, execute `ldconfig` and it will work.
>
> this does not work reliably. using your configuration, staroffice
> still has to use the dynamic linker from /lib.

Well there have been a lot of nay-sayers. However, I can assure you
that it should work, and does work. When shared-library code is
linked implicitly (because that's the only library you have) or
explicitly (-L on the command line), that library is what will
be used (if found) during execution. Further, -Wl,link-path is
available to help find the libraries.

You can always `strings whatever` the file and see the shared
library file-names it was linked against.

That said, if you happen to have libFoo.so.6 which is not the
libFoo.so.6 that the program was linked against, all bets are
off. It is important that you don't change the names of your
libraries or put in a sim-link from libFoo.so.5 to libFoo.so.6
because they were "close enough". You have to have the correct
library.

Star Office provided shared libraries so you wouldn't have any
problems with using the correct ones. What they didn't do is
provide a script that put the stuff in the correct place and
configured your system for you. Instead you have to look through
the sparse documentation and see what was going wrong -- and
for most I've talked to, it goes wrong.

When I first executed Star Office, it crashed. `strace soffice 2>xxx.xxx`
showed me the problem. Five minutes later I was importing
Micro$garbage.doc files that I had been emailed, but hadn't read for
months. I have libc-5.2, libc-5.3 and glibc-2.0.6 library files.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.3 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).