Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #3491

Brian K. White (linut@squonk.net)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:37:17 -0500

> From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:25:11 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?
>
> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Alex Buell wrote:
>
> > I just junked StarOffice because it will NOT work with glibc-2.1 but
> > insists that you install glibc-2.0.7 so it will run. Stupid bastards - and
> > I quite liked StarOffice 4.0. Fuck them.
> >

> Alex,
> It comes with its own C-library. It doesn't need to use yours. You
> put their c-library where they say it should be, modify environment
> variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include theirs, add their library directory
> to ld.do.config, execute `ldconfig` and it will work.
>
> FYI, their library should be in /opt/Office40/lib. I have 5.0, so
> it's in /opt/Office50/lib. Here is my LD_LIBRARY_PATH (this goes in
> /etc/profile).
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib/:/usr/X11R6/lib:/opt/Office50/lib:/usr/java/lib/i686
> LESS=-MM
>
> Admittably this was hard to figure out because the documentation is
> poor. However, the program itself works very well and allows me to
> read/write m$garbage.doc files without having to poison my machine with
> Gates-turds.
>

> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson

gahh! don't put ...Office50/lib in ld.so.config! and don't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in your .profile or .bashrc, and don't tell other people to either! You only
want Star Office to look for libraries in a different place before trying the
regular system locations, but setting it up that way makes every executable on
your system try to find libs there too.
the problem, aside from the fact that it's an utter waste of time since no
executable but star office uses those libs, is that now all your executable will
find "libc.so.6" in there, and use that old version, and your shiny new libc you
just compiled with pgcc -O9 -march=amdk6 -fomit-frame-pointer is just sitting
there in /lib and /usr/lib getting utterly and completely ignored by most
programs
which, if you had really compiled it like that, would actually be why your box
kept running. :)

remove ...Office50/lib from /etc/ld.so.config, rm -f /etc/ld.so.cache and then
run ldconfig
that will correct your library search path.
then copy ...Office50/bin/soffice to /usr/bin
edit /usr/bin/soffice , *in here* set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Office50/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
personally I gutted the 'brains' out of the script too, and just explicitly set
the two or three variables it tries to set. This way only star office uses a
funky LD_LIBRARY_PATH

hint: many precompiled binaries need this. rvplayer,rmenc,pnserver (Real Audio),
netscape used to, etc...

cat /usr/local/bin/soffice

----------------------8<-------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# StarOffice startup script
# (c) 1997, Star Division GmbH

# Disfunctional "brains" lobotomized out, so this one is just for linux.

sd_inst=/opt/Office40

sd_fonts=$sd_inst/fonts
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$sd_inst/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
SAL_FONTPATH=$sd_fonts/type1:$sd_fonts/75dpi
XPPATH=$sd_inst/xp3
unset XENVIRONMENT
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH SAL_FONTPATH XPPATH

$sd_inst/bin/soffice.bin "$@"
----------------------8<----------------------

as you can see I still just have office 4, which needed libc.so.5.4.38
actually 5.4.33 through latest libc5 works, but 38 seemes to work the best.
this script will probably look about the same, you just have a different version
of libc sitting in ...Office50/lib

so, (this is to Alex) all that is requiered to run star office is an extra 5
megs of hard drive space taken up by two files, libc.so.6 and libm.so.6 sitting
in a directory where only star office will ever see/use them. since star office
is 150 megs, what's another 5?

I don't know why anyone reading this list needs directions for stuff like this,
but for those that don't know how to diagnose and treat a library dependancy,
http://www.waldherr.org/soffice/ has always had the simplest boiled down
instructions for getting star office running since office 3

--
Brian~