Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:42:30 +0000 (GMT)

On 13 Mar 1999, david parsons wrote:

> >No it's not. It's a SO problem. It relies on features in glibc-2.0.7 which
> >are not present in glibc-2.1.
>
> Which private entry points did they use?

The loader mentioned that it was unable to locate _dl_something.

> I statically link every elf program I have to use these days,
> because it's the only way to guarantee that it will work.
> It adds ~250k to each and every binary, which isn't perfect,
> but in the land of 128mb memory sticks costing US$180 is a
> lot faster than writing a completely new libc and trying to
> get other people to use it.

Probably, but I thin we've argued about this in the past - ncurses,
remember? I think even in those times of aplenty one should strive for
efficiency. Of course, with open source, you're free to do what you wish.

> How many _programs_ are in the SO suite?

Just one big program!

> ____
> david parsons \bi/ Of course a.out doesn't have this problem, because
> \/ (other) people aren't poking at the libraries anymore.
> Bummer I can't get XF3.3.3 to compile as a.out.

Why not?!

Cheers,
Alex

--