Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
13 Mar 1999 11:24:25 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.10.9903122314520.14768-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>,
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On 12 Mar 1999, david parsons wrote:
>
>> That's not a SO problem. That's a glibc problem.
>
>No it's not. It's a SO problem. It relies on features in glibc-2.0.7 which
>are not present in glibc-2.1.

Which private entry points did they use?

>> david parsons \bi/ Sigh. Static linking -- just say YES.
>
>Nice idea but impracticable for a suite as large as SO.

I statically link every elf program I have to use these days,
because it's the only way to guarantee that it will work.
It adds ~250k to each and every binary, which isn't perfect,
but in the land of 128mb memory sticks costing US$180 is a
lot faster than writing a completely new libc and trying to
get other people to use it.

How many _programs_ are in the SO suite?

____
david parsons \bi/ Of course a.out doesn't have this problem, because
\/ (other) people aren't poking at the libraries anymore.
Bummer I can't get XF3.3.3 to compile as a.out.