Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Nomad the Wanderer (nomad@orci.com)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:03:00 -0700

Since you brought up SO... I have it on my Solaris System and a RedHat-5.2
system. On both of them, if I try to create a new document. I get an
internal error and the whole thing blows out.

Common problem?

Robert

Thus spake Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com):

> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Alex Buell wrote:
>

> > I just junked StarOffice because it will NOT work with glibc-2.1 but
> > insists that you install glibc-2.0.7 so it will run. Stupid bastards - and
> > I quite liked StarOffice 4.0. Fuck them.
> >

> Alex,
> It comes with its own C-library. It doesn't need to use yours. You
> put their c-library where they say it should be, modify environment
> variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include theirs, add their library directory
> to ld.do.config, execute `ldconfig` and it will work.
>
> FYI, their library should be in /opt/Office40/lib. I have 5.0, so
> it's in /opt/Office50/lib. Here is my LD_LIBRARY_PATH (this goes in
> /etc/profile).
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib/:/usr/X11R6/lib:/opt/Office50/lib:/usr/java/lib/i686
> LESS=-MM
>
> Admittably this was hard to figure out because the documentation is
> poor. However, the program itself works very well and allows me to
> read/write m$garbage.doc files without having to poison my machine with
> Gates-turds.
>

> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson
> ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
> Penguin : Linux version 2.2.3 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
> Warning : It's hard to remain at the trailing edge of technology.
>

> -

Robert L. Harris | Windows is to Unix
Senior System Administrator II | what 'hooked on phonics'
at Great West Life. \_ is to Shakespeare

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

FYI: