Re: MP3 skippety skip skipageness

Craig Schlenter (craig@is.co.za)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:08:00 +0200

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 07:29:49AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
[snip]
> I tried several mp3 players - all seem to skip to some extent.
> None of them ever skip except very occasionally on a busy system
> in 2.0.x. So therefore it is definitely something wrong, and not
> an issue with a maxed out system or some such.

One very strange thing for me was that a glibc version of amp skipped
but a libc5 binary didn't. The libc binary was one that I got from
somewhere and these days I just copy that one around where-ever I need
it ... very strange and I haven't investigated again for several months
so perhaps I imagined it all ... I must get around to sorting it out
properly one of these days.

> >All the other players I've tried skip to some degree. When playing a mp3
> >from cd I have the odd skip as the cd spins up, amp reads some stuff,
> >the cd spins down, amp wants to read more and skips while the cd spins
> >up and so on ... irritating.
>
> Suggestions for your CD problem:
>
> cat the file to /dev/null prior to playing it. It may likely
> stay in buffer cache. You might also want to try out a program
> that changes your CD's spindown timer if the drive allows it.
> Alternative to that, you can write a small script which runs
> every X seconds which accesses a random sector on the CD.

Yes ... good ideas. I've been too lazy to do anything other than my
buffer hack. I've tried getting the cd spindown changed with hdparm but
haven't had much luck with that ... the cd drive seems trashy as it
periodically seems to get reset by the ide driver to keep it in shape.

> >I wrote a little read-mp3-into 5 Meg buffer thing and then pipe into amp
> >/proc/self/fd/0 (or is it 1?) which worked quite nicely for that. The
> >code for that seems to be gone now as I trashed my one drive but it
> >shouldn't be hard to write something like that again.
>
> I wrote the above having not read your whole message first. ;o)
> May I ask how you trashed your drive? Was it a 2.2.x bug, or
> just an accident?

An accident ... I thought I'd copied everything from my old drive before
I trashed it but I hadn't :(

I haven't had linux trash any of my disks ever :)

I'm going to be using my linux box as my primary workstation in a few
weeks so I'll be forced to sort out funny mp3 problems then .... if I
discover anything interesting wrt. skipping mp3's I'll post something
to the list.

Cheers,

--Craig