Re: Informix-related Kernel Patches

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:42:50 -0900 (AKST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Kurt Wall wrote:

> Pardon the interruption, but, after browsing LinuxHQ and a few other
> locations, I need some assistance.
>
> In order to get Informix IDS up and running, a series of kernel patches
> were required, primarily, it appears, allow each instance of IDS to
> open a large number of file descriptors, something like 3000+ or so.
>
> I'm trying to determine if these patches, which were made available for
> the 2.0.36 kernel for RedHat and SuSE:
>
> 1) Have been integrated into the 2.2.x kernel;
> 2) At what patch-level they were integrated;
> 3) Other relevant information related thereto;

Large per user file handle limits are avail in the 2.2.XacX
(current 2.2.3ac1) patches.

2.2.x defaults to 1024 fh per user (IIRC), and 4096 system wide, system
wide can be increased via the proc iface, and per user are settable on the
fly with the ac patches.

----
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
--About the Internet and nuclear war.