Re: Jumping penguin on matrox-fb

Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:51:25 MET-1

On 10 Mar 99 at 16:56, Dave Jones wrote:
> I almost forgot to mention, that in 2.2.3, the penguin logo displayed
> on bootup has changed position. On 2.2.2 and previous, it was on the right
> hand side, and now its jumped to the left. Any reason for this ?
> Or is it a bug?
It is intentional, because of software scrollback patches were integrated
into kernel, so if you'll boot without `video=scrollback:<value>', you'll
get 32KB (== 16384 characters) scrollback buffer, regardless of your
screen resolution or color depth. It is a bit slower (visually) when
you scroll back in elvis, if you have 8MB of videoram using reasonable
resolution, you'll get a bit smaller scrollback, but ... it works and
if you have 1MB of videoram, it is real win for you...
> It's irritating, as it tends to get in the way of the boot messages,
> forcing me to do a dmesg | less if I want to read something.
Did you ever tried `shift-pgup' ? Penguin disappears and you can scroll
back through messages...
> It looks a bit crap too, as theres a line of the scrolling buffer visible
> above the penguin, then the penguin, then the rest of the buffer. Ugly..
Uh? I cannot believe you, penguin is at the top of screen on all my
Matroxes around... Do you have, by any chance, SVGATextMode in your rc
scripts? You should not...
> I'm using a Matrox Millenium G200.
Millennium II, G100, G200 SG, all the same here: 32KB scrollback,
penguin on top of screen. If you are sure that you see (one) text line
above penguin, could you send me your kernel boot options?
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz