Re: Amazing Breakthrough

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:18:28 -0500 (EST)

Richard B. Johnson enscribed thusly:

> Gentlemem:
> Again, one of your subscribers is using your facility to steal email
> addresses from the linux-kernel list and this is the result.

You blew it...

It didn't come from AOL (check the Received-By headers). It
came by way of PSI, and I've already sent a complaint to abuse there.
AOL may want to take action for fraudulent use of one of their addresses,
though, and I did let them know, as well. I also contacted commnections.com
and ccgnv.net who are, somehow, associated with the targetnow.com domain
(DNS support is coming from them). Do a "whois targetnow.com" and then
a "whois ccgnv.net" to find the appropriate points of contact.

Anyone in states which have made it criminal to fraudulently modify
addresses for spamming (Washington and California, I think) might want to
contact their law enforcement agencies to take legal action...

> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 targetnow1@aol.com wrote:
> > It's no secret that eMail advertising is the #1 way to advertise on this planet!
> >
> > AT LAST! There is a NEW WAY to use eMail responsibly to advertise your product or service.
> >
> > Let us show you more, <A HREF="http://www.targetnow.com/">Click Here to Enter TargetNow</A> </HTML>
> >

> > This message is sent in compliance of the new email bill section 301.Per
> > Section 301,Paragraph (a)(2)(C) of S. 1618. Further transmissions to you by the sender of this email may be stopped at
> > no cost to you by clicking onthe REMOVE link below and typing the word remove
> > in the subject box. Then press the send button.

> > -

> Please fix this immediately.

> Very truly yours,

> Richard B. Johnson
> Director, CNDAS (Comittee for the use of nuclear devices against spammers)

Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/