Re: Linux/IA-64 byte order

Ian D Romanick (idr@cs.pdx.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:50:01 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Jim Zajkowski wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > } (For example, have people realized just how large something like
> > } KDE+StarOffice is? Imagine blowing that up by a factor of three or so..)
> >
> > It's a scam to get us to buy bigger disks.
>
> And More Ram ....

How do you figure? The Merced processor wasn't designed with you and me in
mind. It was designed for people that already buy systems with 1+GB memory
and several 100GB of disk, and spend $1+ million on a system. Nobody will
notice the difference in cost of 1GB and 1.1GB of RAM. :)

By the time IA-64 hits the mainstream, the cost to buy enough RAM for a
system will be about the same as today. It will have to be, or nobody will
buy the systems! :)

--
"I remember, and I was impressed.  But that's
 all forgotten now."