Re: NFS client performance 1.5 orders of magnitude too slow? (fwd)

Erez Zadok (ezk@cs.columbia.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:45:58 -0500 (EST)

In message <m10KU9W-0007U1C@the-village.bc.nu>, Alan Cox writes:
> > Does that mean that the behavior of rsize/wsize in newer kernels will
> > change? Or the default 4k change?
>
> With 2.2.3 if you say "8K writes" you get 4K writes on a box with 4K page
> sizes. With 2.2.2ac7 (which has the write gathering) you get bursts
> of 8K writes. This makes it a good 5 times faster for some of my test
> sets.

Then I guess whenever this gathering code makes into some newer version of
linux, I'll have to add another piece of code to amd that says, "if kernel
version is greater than 2.2.N, then set rsize=wsize=8k". For now I can
leave it up to people to set these options by hand in their amd maps.

Erez.