Re: /dev/psaux troubles with 2.2.2

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:57:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install 2.2.2 on an AcerNote 970 notebook.
> This notebook has a ps2-mouse compatible touch pad build-in.
>
> When trying to access the touch-pad as /dev/psaux I get:
> /dev/mouse: Operation not supported by device
>
> With linux-2.0.X and linux-2.1.131 (latest pre-2.2 snapshot, I tried on
> this notebook) accessing this touch-pad as /dev/psaux with gpm and X had
> worked - now it doesn't.

Ralf,

The psaux detection code in 2.2.x fails to find a valid device under some
circumstances. I fought this battle last weekend on an older 486 box with
PS2 mouse on the motherboard. Haven't had the time to debug the probe so
I took the sneaky way around and did:

*** pc_keyb.c.orig Sat Mar 6 18:43:00 1999
--- pc_keyb.c Sat Mar 6 00:14:53 1999
***************
*** 979,987 ****

static int __init psaux_init(void)
{
if (!detect_auxiliary_port())
return -EIO;
!
misc_register(&psaux_mouse);
queue = (struct aux_queue *) kmalloc(sizeof(*queue), GFP_KERNEL);
memset(queue, 0, sizeof(*queue));
--- 979,988 ----

static int __init psaux_init(void)
{
+ #if 0
if (!detect_auxiliary_port())
return -EIO;
! #endif
misc_register(&psaux_mouse);
queue = (struct aux_queue *) kmalloc(sizeof(*queue), GFP_KERNEL);
memset(queue, 0, sizeof(*queue));

Please note that this is a rude hack. The maintainer should be made aware
that it is missing devices on some platforms.

Steve