Re: loopback devices are not freeed on umount

Hans (J.W.R.deGoede@ITS.TUDelft.NL)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:43:53 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> From J.W.R.deGoede@ITS.TUDelft.NL Mon Mar 8 16:57:37 1999
>
> On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
> > Andries, how do you feel about an extension to mtab to have a "loop"
> > option in the options field so that unmount can know to delete it if it
> > was created by mount? I realise this won't work for people who symlink
> > /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts.
>
> Surprise! That is precisely how things work today.
>
> I understand thanks for the info, maybe a note somewhere in the kernel
> docs about losetup would be nice.
>
> Why in the kernel docs? Because people do not read man pages?
> There is good documentation in mount(8) and in losetup(8).

The documentation in mount is what I used but I read over the reference
to losetup, my fault I guess

I guess I have myself to blame. I run some diskless clients from these
machine's to and for ease of configuration I share /etc with them thus
mtab is a link to /proc/mounts. Now I understand what the note in man
mount about incovienience with using /proc/mounts is all about.

Anyways Thanks everyone for the help,

I think I understand now ;)

Regards,

Hans