Re: Linux/IA-64 byte order

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:52:17 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

> I write visualisation software for astronomy. This software is used
> all over the world, and often has to deal with very large
> datasets. It's not uncommon to "load" a dataset (a cube) but only view
> a small portion of it (a single plane (channel) of the cube). On
> big-endian machines I can avoid loading data and instead use memory
> mapping, because all the portable binary data formats are big-endian
> (FITS, Miriad and my own).
>
> Being able to memory map a gigabyte dataset makes "loading" extremely
> fast. It also means you don't need stacks of swap space.

Make an empty map for little-endian direct access and make a backing map
with the actual file. Then install a signal handler to catch reads in the
empty map, copy a page (or more) with byteswapping, and you're done.

As David Miller suggests, this might be a complete non-issue. We can for
instance speculate that the processor has a byteswap micro-op that can be
added to an instruction pipeline with little or no cost. Or other such
magic. Remember, we're talking about a fairly novel architecture.