Re: eth-Devices and naming wishes

Paul Wouters (paul@xtdnet.nl)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:49:03 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Marc Haber wrote:

> However, it seems that I can't control which ethx alias will be
> associated with the trusted network because both cards are PCI and
> their resource assignments are controlled by the system BIOS. Thus, I
> will have to jump through hoops to take care of this in every init and
> maintenance script which will prove a major pain and source of
> problems.

You can load the modules in order. for example, say you have two 3c509
cards, do:

insmod 3c509 irq=10,11 io=0x300,0x320

This will make eth0 be 10,0x300 and eth1 be 11,0x320. Alyways. in this
order only

btw. you might want to have a look at www.linuxrouter.org

Paul

--
Paul Wouters                    Postbus 170            Tel: 31-24-360 39 19
Xtended Internet                6500 AD Nijmegen       Fax: 31-24-360 19 99