SVR4 Partition map support (was Re: Regarding UFS file-system)

RAJ K JAIN (raj.jain@tatainfotech.com)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:46:06 +0800 (SST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, mukesh agrawal wrote:

> >> If it's an SVR4 *disk*, and not just a UFS filesystem on a Linux/Intel
> >> disk, then you also need appropriate partition map support.
> >
> > yep it is SVR *disk* having ufs partition. Then in that
> >case how to do partition mapping , should I have to write some
> >code for it , in order to be recognised by linux.
>
> I'm not sure what type of partition map (a.k.a. partition table, a.k.a.
> disklabel) the SVR4 disk would have, but trying compiling a kernel with UFS
> support and BSD and SMD disklabel support. If that doesn't work then I
> guess you will have to write code to support whatever partition map is on
> that disk.

Yes, I did that with kernel 2.2.1 and tried to mount the disk, but
it dint work. I used "mount -t ufs -ufstype=44bsd ...."
The point here is: How do utilities like mount or fdisk know that
the partition map support has been compiled or no? Even fdisk
behaves shadily, saying there is a mismatch between the logical
and physical endings of the disk. Obviously it is a problem with
recognising the partition table here.
Is there any other command, or option passed to mount which makes
it incorporate the Disklabel support, or is this achieved
inherently?
Any pointers to information on this would be welcome. I am going
through drivers/block/genhd.c , in which the code for the
Solaris/BSD disklabels is found.
TIA,
Raj