Re: pausing and kernel profiling

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 06:24:32 +0000

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 10:57:02AM -0500, Geoff R Deasey wrote:

> What can I use to see where the kernel is spending its time?
> I am trying to find a 10-15 second annoying sleep where the
> entire machine seems to stop. I thought that if I could see the kernel
> and where it spends its time I could solve this.

If you compile in the magic sysrq key support, Alt+SysRq+P will blatter
a register dump to your console.

Andrea also has some kernel debugging patches that might be useful, if you're
feeling brave -- I'm not, so I haven't tried them yet :)

http://www.e-mind.com/~andrea/

--
There was a young man of St. John's / Who wanted to bugger the swans. /
But the loyal hall porter / Said, "Pray take my daughter! /