[solved] Re: Kernel Panic - try passing init= to kernel

Alan Olsen (alano@adams.pcx.ncd.com)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:07:02 -0800

On Mar 2, 4:20pm, Alan Olsen wrote:
> Subject: Kernel Panic - try passing init= to kernel
> Here is an odd problem...
>
> I have version 2.2.2 installed. I added a scsi card into a working system
with
> an onboard scsi controller. The board on the pci bus insists on coming up
> first even though the on board bios is the one set to boot and is the first
> come up. (This scsi drive has a couple of i386 solaris partitions I am
trying
> to recover.) Is it possible to force the order of the controllers?
>
> When this scsi card is on and bootable, it generates a message that says
> "Unable to find console. Try passing init= to kernel.".

I found what was causing the problem.

I had two scsi cards set to the same scsi host id. Double plus ungood as they
say in the Microsoft world.

Another problem I have seen before with scsi. Not certain if there is a clean
work around other than "don't do that". If you have a scsi card compiled into
the kernel and as a module (left over from a previous build), the kernel tends
to see the card twice and then choke and die. It would be nice (though I am
not holding my breath) to have the module check to see if that functionality
exists in the kernel already and refuse to load. (With apreopreate error
message of course.)

--
Alan Olsen        "Carpe Aptenodytes!"
alano@ncd.com