Re: OSDI paper - IO-Lite: A Unified I/O Buffering and Caching System

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:01:19 +0100 (CET)

On 3 Mar 1999, Jan Vroonhof wrote:

> 1. Most of the gains come from less copying along pipes.
> 2. [this is not clear from the paper to me] For the gains the occur
> both sides of the pipe need use IOL.
> 3. The gains come from copying by reference.
> 3b. There is an additional gain from to having to recompute TCP
> checksums.

i think most gains come from the fact that IO-Lite only deals with
'immutable' (ie. read-only) IO buffers. Most (all) high-traffic sites have
dynamic content ...

-- mingo