Re: current->dumpable=0

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:13:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Martin Mares wrote:

> Is there any reason for setting current->dumpable to 0 in sys_setuid()?
> It seems to me it doesn't close any security problem (since you need to
> be root to change UID and if it the program was setuid, core dumps
> should have been already disabled at this point) and it makes debugging
> of daemons switching their UID a lot harder.

Consider the case where login (or some other such program - maybe ftpd)
switches uid but still has a lump of the shadow password file somewhere,
or of some unreadable config file.

Perhaps we should add a SIGCORE which just causes the kernel to drop the
process image as a core file (without necessarily killing the process).

Matthew.