Re: lockd does not work as expected

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
01 Mar 1999 00:06:23 +0100

"Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@adelphia.net> writes:

> Yes, the semantics are not consistant across platforms. AIX and Digital
> Unix 4.x also seem to support flock() over NFS. Which Unices _don't_
> support it (just for curiousity)?
>

>From the DU4.0d 'flock' manpage:

The flock() function operates on the local system only. It does not make
any attempt to coordinate a file's lock status with other systems. In a
distributed environment, use the fcntl() or lockf() interfaces to place
advisory locks on files, as they provide a superset of flock() features.

AIX has no manpage for 'flock' that I could find...

Solaris does indeed seem to support flock over NFS, but I dunno how
they solve the problem of a child process inheriting the lock. NLM was
not designed with 'flock' in mind, and assumes that a single process
owns the lock.

Cheers,
Trond