Re: Multiple applications using sound drivers?

Rafael Reilova (rreilova@ECECS.UC.EDU)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:19:40 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.990227175458.1212B-100000@gauguin.ececs.uc.edu>, Rafa
> el Reilova writes:
> +-----
> | I think the un*x way is to have a sound server processs manage the
> | different sound sources from userspace, and have only the sound server
> | talk directly to the kernel drivers. Of course, all programs which talk
> | directly to /dev/dsp would have to be recoded to use the sound server
> | library and API.
> +--->8
>
> Not necessarily. esd, for instance, provides an "esddsp" script which
> LD_PRELOADs a shared library which intercepts opens of /dev/dsp and opens
> a channel to esd instead. (Of course, this fails for setuid programs.)

OK, I stand corrected :) But does esddsp still work when the program uses
mmap() on /dev/dsp and some of the other advanced synchronization features
such as the ioctl(..,TRIGGER_xxx) and select().

Cheers,

-Rafael