Re: [2.2.2] APM poweroff problem

Peter Hofmann (pxh@gmx.net)
26 Feb 1999 23:13:43 +0100

Hi,

Stephen Rothwell <Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au> writes:

> > From: Nils Philippsen <nils@fht-esslingen.de>
> > Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:08:03 +1100
> > I have a problem to poweroff my machine when issuing halt -p.
> >
> > I turned on APM in the kernel as well as in the BIOS, but all I get to see are
> > myriads of hex numbers in square brackets after the "System halted."/"Power
> > down" message.
> >
> > The setup is the following:
> >
> > - Gigabyte GA6BX-E Mainboard with the latest BIOS (according to Gigabyte's
> > website)
> This is a know bug with some BIOS implementations. They assume that
> we will switch back to real mode before we ask them to power off.
> Under Linux we do not do this.
>
> [I am assuming the emssages you get start with something like
> OOPS: ... f000
> ]
>
> Complain to Gigabyte.

I had the same problem with my EPOX EP-51-MVP3E-M board. This was
fixed by the latest BIOS upgrade that I downloaded from the EPOX web
site. The README to the BIOS upgrade explicitly stated that it was
supposed to fix the "Linux power-off problem".

So it actually seems that vendors are responsive about Linux-related
compatibility problems with their hardware. Perhaps the original poster
could cite this when contacting Gigabyte.

Peter

--
Peter Hofmann                  e-mail: pxh@gmx.net