Re: [patch] workaround for solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6 FIN bug (ID 4083814)

David Miller (davem@twiddle.net)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:32:11 -0800

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:35:41 +0100 (CET)
From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com>

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Philip Gladstone wrote:

>The fix was to make sure that we did *not* retransmit the data, but
>*do* retransmit the FIN. When Solaris receives the FIN without data
>it handles it correctly.

I thought about this way to workaround the Solaris bug infact. Maybe I
missed some bit of TCPRFC, but I thought it was not possible because once
Solairs didn't seen the FIN flag, it just interpreted the last octect of
the FIN-full-of-data packet as data while it was a virtual octect. Am I
wrong here?

No Andrea, I think Philip is completely right.

I concede, nobody wants to fix Solaris, everyone wishes to code
workarounds for other systems until they are blue in the face.
(What really ticks me off is that the response from people about
Andrea's patch was "INSTALL THIS ON ALL YOUR FTP HTTP SERVERS"
without one mention of "people with solaris systems should install
the appropriate fixes", this makes me ill, and this leads us to
have an internet with tcp implementations full of bandaids)

So I'll put the hack in some form into 2.2.3, even though I still
think this is all a crock.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com