Re: Linux Driver - Select Implementation!

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:09:26 -0500 (EST)

Charles Cazabon writes:

> This thundering herd problem can be solved in userland, if I am not
> mistaken. From what I've read, Apache solves this problem by having
> a single task do the select(), and setting an appropriate semaphore
> on return. The rest of the tasks which would normally do a select()
> instead wait on this semaphore -- when the semaphore is available,
> a single task is unblocked from waiting on it.

Besides being an ugly guru trick, this solution involves the extra
overhead of a semaphore and a process to manage it.

I'm fairly sure this wouldn't take even a kB of kernel memory,
and it would really be nice for userspace hackers to have.