Re: UDMA Support for ALI1543?

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:42:56 -0600 (CST)

I guess that is why this file appears from nowhere.

/*
* linux/drivers/block/alim15x3.c Version 0.04 Feb. 8, 1999
*
* Copyright (C) 1998-99 Michel Aubry, Maintainer
* Copyright (C) 1998-99 Andrzej Krzysztofowicz, Maintainer
* Copyright (C) 1998-99 Andre Hedrick, Integrater and Maintainer
*
* (U)DMA capable version of ali 1533/1543(C)
*
* Default disable (U)DMA on all devices execpt hard disks.
* This measure of overkill is needed to stablize the chipset code.
*
*/

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Greg wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
>
> > > Anyone know of patches to support UDMA on an ALI1543 chipset? Motherboard
> > > is an M5ALA Version 2.0
> >
> > Look at Andre's homepage:
> >
> > http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/
>
> I took a look at it and grabbed the patch, but I didn't see any reference
> to the ALI 15xx series chips. The patch only appears to address ALI 14xx
> series chips.

The patch is complete redesign for the ide-driver to ease th integration
of the old-balls into the mainstream with less pain in the future.
The ALI series requires pre-init code to be run on the pci-bridge and the
ide host adapter to get it to setup, before we can try to configure DMA
transfers and of the BIOS is wacky and needs more stuff.

> Any difference? I'm sort of skittish about just applying the patch on the
> machine unless I know it supports the chipset...

Add EXPERIMENTAL compile options................

> -

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy -- http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/