supermount for 2.2? [Was Re: autofs suggestion]

Lorenzo M. Catucci (lorenzo@argon.roma2.infn.it)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:38:48 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using autofs here to mount a disk partition, a ZIP ATAPI drive, a
> CDROM, a toaster (well, CD burner) and a floppy. Everything's OK, apart
> that I cannot mount any of these peripherals read-write.

[...]
You awoke me, even though my preferred solution is very different from the
one you envision... It is a long time since I first worried about 2.1.xxx
not having got a very nice solution to your problem; then, 2.0.36 got isdn
updates which made my own board work, and forgot about the whole problem.
Now, I tried 2.2.2, and developed a quick appetite for 2.2, after having
seen octave doing the same job as in 2.0 in 1/3 the time, and xdm starting
up almost immediately, on a system where I had to wait 5 seconds after the
whole runlevel 3 shuffling...

Therefore, this is a real cry for help: please someone catch Stephen*
and put him in an underground closet, feeding him with bread and onions
until he does update the MARVELLOUS supermount file system to work with
2.2.x. SM does let you mount removable storage in a magical fashion,
locks and unlocks the doors of your disk drivers as needed (the cdrom door
is locked only when some process has CWD inside the cdrom, and unlocks
asap, I seem to remember he did the same magic for SCSI and IDE
removables), and have write operations return only after syncing. Try it
with 2.0.36 (<a
href="http://argon.roma2.infn.it/~lorenzo/supermount-2.0.36.gz>smfs</a>
and <a href="http://argon.roma2.infn.it/supermount-0.6.README">docs</a>
)** and you won't leave 2.0 as me...

Putting jokes apart, does someone other than Stephen understand VFS, the
underlying filesystems and the media drivers well enough to try and
forward port that stuff to 2.2? Next worried question: is he well? It
seems a long time since I last have seen a mail from him on lk... I really
hope he got a nice holiday.

Yours,

l.

* Tweedie, for the unaware ones

** I made a couple of trivial changes to avoid patch rejects; I lost the
original distribution href