Re: very poor TCP performance with 2.2.2

David C Niemi (niemi@tux.org)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:55:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, David Miller wrote:
> A side note, all the bitching about the bad interactions we have with
> Solaris boxes wrt. FIN's, look what NT does here, the same like 2.2.x
> by attaching the FIN to the final data frame.

The difference is that the Linux developers can be convinced to CARE
whether their kernel interacts badly with Solaris. I'd expect Microsoft to
be PLEASED they break Solaris and it's Solaris' fault ;^)

Now that I've reproduced the Solaris TCP FIN bug under HTTP, I'm convinced
it explains the many HTTP sessions here at work that hang at 100% going to
NT sites as well. A very compelling reason to apply the patch for bug
#4083814 on Solaris firewalls and proxies. But reacting gracefully to bugs
in other OSes is still a plus for Linux when it isn't too ugly to
implement.

---David C Niemi--- If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
---niemi at tux.org--- If I am only for myself, what am I?
---Reston VA USA--- If not now, when? -- Hillel