Re: Resolved: Poor PPP performance in 2.2.x

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 23:59:06 +0100

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 04:43:08PM -0600, Stephen Foskett wrote:
> Why were so few people seeing the problem? Perhaps my ISP (Concentric.net)
> uses this compression module and many others don't. Perhaps many others
> have disabled this module. Perhaps it's something about the system yet...

Many ISP use Ascend dial-in routers which support only the lame ('coz
proprietary) STAC/MS-STAC/LZ-anything compression which Linux-ppp does
not support, while the Ascend cannot be fitted with PPP-Deflate or
BSD-Compress either. :-(

I'd really like to see compatibility with this Ascend compression to
speed up general connection throughput, while not using strange
squid-ssh-hacks. I bugged the dialin-admin at Dortmund University quite
a bit, he finally gave up on Ascend, he said there was nothing he could
do while he really would like to. Not sure if bugging the Deutsche
Telekom AG will help, since they seem to "support" only Windows as
well.

--
Matthias Andree