=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_RFD:_use_of_`xtime=B4_in_2.2.1_and_nanoseconds?=

Ulrich Windl (ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:19:55 +0100

On 25 Feb 99, at 14:22, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >going to nanoseconds needed some more fixes in kernel code. I'll
> >present some fixes here where kernel code directly accessed `xtimeŽ
> >and not one of the interface routines.
>
> If you check ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/arca-tree/2.2.2_arca2.gz
>
> you'll see that I am always using a get_xtime() function that takes care
> of races. Otherwise you can get an xtime uptodate only in one of the two
> fields. So basically accessing xtime directly is going to be always bogus.

I had a short look at it: The xtime lock should really be declared in
<time.h> and nowhere else (In my stuff it is, and clients of time
should include <time.h>).

I hope that I (or someone else) can derive some fixes for the stable
kernel from my many changes, once it's stable enough... It might
conflict with your changes then. I'm still considering what and how
many functions are really needed. I feel that we have too many
currently.

Ulrich

P.S./BTW: The third snapshot of my nanoseconds patch will be anounced
in a few minutes; the upload should be committed to the disks already
;-) (the older, more buggy versions of "PPSkit-0.6*pre*" are gone!)