Re: People need to say "no"

Robert G. Werner (rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:26:48 -0800 (PST)

I didn't mean to make Linus sound omnipotent (man that phrase is so fraught wit
potential jokes it is hard to even write). I was trying to emphaize the fact
that Linus is the copyright holder to a good chunk of the kernel. Even more
importantly, this is his idea and I don't think we should ever minimize that.
Linus is the only one of us who can't say .." well if I had been at the right
place I could have come up with Linux too." He did it and he has to make sure
it has a level of quality he can live with.
Linux will always be 'his' in my mind until such time as Linus wants to back
off. Linus has shown incredible stamina and endurance but even more
interestingly Linus is tenacious and protective of this projcet of his. I'm
greatful for that because it makes a nice system.
I guess I'm just tyring to emphasize that since we work under a benighn
dictatorship rather than a junta or politbeuro like the various *BSD, there
is really only one man who makes the final decisions. He wants it this way.
I want it this way as long as Linux continues to develop like it has.
I hope this doesn't sound like a flame. I think we are really all saying the
same thing in different ways or are just talking about different sides of the
same coin.

Robert G. Werner
rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com
Impeach Conggress!!

If the girl you love moves in with another guy once, it's more than enough.
Twice, it's much too much. Three times, it's the story of your life.

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Eric Princen wrote:

> Sorry to waste bandwidth here, but I think Robert is overstating the
> omnipotence of Linus. Before I get 1001 flames for that, I'll just state
> that I'm speaking in the unspeakable hypothetical here... :-)
[snip]