Re: [2.2.2] APM poweroff problem

Myles Uyema (myles@puck.nether.net)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 23:28:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> I have a problem to poweroff my machine when issuing halt -p.
>
> I turned on APM in the kernel as well as in the BIOS, but all I get to see are
> myriads of hex numbers in square brackets after the "System halted."/"Power
> down" message.
>
> - Kernel 2.2.2 (Problem occurred since I had the machine, which is since
> beginning of thgey year --> since 2.1.1[23]x)
> - both using conventional VGA text mode as well as fbcon
> - RedHat 5.2 (with necessary updates installed (I think))

Though not documented in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes (misprint
in the sysklogd section mentions power-off, when I believe it should be
pertaining to sysvinit), you should install sysvinit-2.76. I get it at

ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/software/sysvinit-2.76.tar.gz

I happen to have Debian 2.0 installed, and I use "shutdown -h now" in
order to poweroff my machine. This works as it should with kernel
2.2.x. The halt script's last line contains "halt -d -f -i -p"

Myles Uyema
myles@puck.nether.net