Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Linux and NT Workstation 4.0

Shaw Carruthers (shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:16:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> This, if I remember correctly, is the trick. For some reason, NT's boot code
> barfs after LILO calls it if the MBR isn't NT's. So install LILO on the
> superblock of your ext2 partition and mark it as the active partition. So the
> NT mbr invokes LILO, which can load Linux or the NT boot code as necessary.

I have used lilo to boot NT SP3 with no problem.

NT is installed in hda1, lilo in hda.

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
#verbose=3
boot = /dev/hda
#compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
prompt
timeout = 300
default = linux
vga = normal # force sane state
linear
# End LILO global section
# DOS bootable partition config begins: BOOTS NT
other = /dev/hda1
label = other
table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins: BOOTS W98 ON D:
other = /dev/sda1
label = w98
loader= /boot/any_d.b
# DOS bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/hda4
append = "ether=9,0,0,0,eth0 console=tty1 ncr53c8xx=nvram:y"
label = linux
read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

--
Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
London SW14 7JW UK