Re: problem with running out of processes

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:08:07 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Alex Buell wrote:

>> Each process takes up 8k of non-swappable kernel memory for the kernel
>> stack and process structure. This is allocated dynamically (which can
>> cause problems if memory is fragmented, becuase the 8k needs to be
>> contiguous). If all 4092 processes are running this is almost 32Mb.
>> Double trouble for low-memory machines.
>
>Now I understand a bit more. Thank you for your explanation. However, I've
>been messing with tasks.h a bit more.
>
>It looks like my machine will *not* boot if I set NR_TASKS to 4092 (as
>instructed), or 4090. However, setting it to 4000 works fine. And, no I
>don't have APM configured. I have it permanently switched off as I figure
>I can bloody well turn off the monitor 8)

I have Linux turn off my monitor just fine *WITHOUT* any APM at
all. Just use:

setterm -powersave on
setterm -powerdown 10

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

News for nerds, stuff that matters: http://slashdot.org