Re: [ANN] new mailing list

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:49:56 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Gerhard Mack wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Shaw Carruthers wrote:
>

> > Make it an automatically moderated newsgroup. Only subscribers to
> > linux-kernel can post.
> >
> > This can be done automatically: posts get forwarded to the moderator which
> > is a bot which checks the posting host against the list of subscribers.
> >
> > Quite a few newsgroups run like this.
>
> That still leaves open the possibillity of email address harvesting, and
> that seems a lot more common a problem than posting spam directly to
> the list.

The real problem with going to a newsgroup is not a technical one. The
problem is that readers don't scale. While it may be ok for some people to
just skim the list and read only the subjects, other people such as Alan
and the IDE maintainers, etc., end up reading a lot more of the traffic
than the rest of us, just to keep on top of the stuff they need to. They
don't scale to the size of a newsgroup.

The fix might be to create a better bug-tracking infrastructure. Can we
bring Jitterbug back? Can we use it just for bugs rather than tracking
patches? Directing most questions there might get rid of many of the more
frequently asked questions.

Email addresses are already harvested and you can just assume they will be
on any popular forum.