Re: Linux and NT Workstation 4.0

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:13:22 +0100

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 04:28:52AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > What I need to know is if LILo will boot the NT kernel the same way it
> > boots the Linux and Windows 95 kernels. Otherwise, my system will get a
> > major screwing-over. Has anyone else tried this and been successful? Or
> > is NT's boot code too stubborn for LILO to load?
> >=20
>=20
> It won't, but you can coax the NT boot code into booting LILO.
> Basically, the boot=3D option in LILO should point to your Linux
> partition (not to the MBR), then after each run of LILO you need to dd
> the LILO boot sector to a file on your FAT (or NTFS, if you're gutsy)
> partition that you then specify in your boot.ini (I think it's called)
> file...

Strange enough, it works here without any tricks.
MBR (unchanged) loads OS2BootMan loads LILO(20) loads NT. Of course I can
also load NT from OS2BootMan.
Config: /dev/hda3 MS-DOS FAT (C:)
/dev/hda8 WinNT FAT (F:)
/dev/hda5 Linux / ext2

Booting of NT goes via the boot secotr of C: and I got a selection to boot
either DOS or NT from NT's bootloader.

I believe you just need a MSDOS FAT Partition to make your LILO load NT ...

Regards,
--=20
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]
PGP key: see mailheader / key servers [Linux SCSI driver: DC390]

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7--