Re: [RFC] inode generation numbers.

Zygo Blaxell (uixjjji1@umail.furryterror.org)
24 Feb 1999 01:28:07 -0500

In article <199902230349.TAA12593@sodium.transmeta.com>,
Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com> wrote:
>If we could do it in a way that the NFS filehandles remain the same
>going from 2.2 to 2.3 for at least ext2, it would be ideal, I think.
>
>Having all of your filehandles go south on you just because your Linux
>NFS server was upgraded should happen as rarely as possible (never is
>best, but I agree that we need to add the generation number, and I
>don't know if we can add it without breaking filehandles once).

Gee, Sun didn't seem to think twice about doing that.

Are knfsd filehandles actually compatible with the old user-space NFS server
filehandles? If not then the point is moot I think...we've broken
NFS anyway.

--
Zygo Blaxell, Linux Engineer, Corel Corporation, zygob@corel.ca (work),
zblaxell@furryterror.org (play).  It's my opinion, I tell you! Mine! All MINE!