Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 00:00:12 +0300 (MSK)

In <Pine.SOL.3.95.990207144051.11583A-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu> Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu) wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> "Easily" ? Are you joking ? With moves like planned move of rename() from
>> filesystem-level to VFS-level are forced to redesign all modules (AFS peoples
>> are heppy to hear about this move, I know :-))) ! So if module will be
>> saparated from main kernel this will become mantainance nightmare (like PCMCIA
>> just now).

> Victor, in case you've missed it: rename() change is being done *not* to
> screw modules up.

Of course :-)

> Please, learn to read.

Where I said that rename() change was done to screw modules up ? It's just
side effect :-))

> BTW, do you realize that dependency of modules on VFS is half of problem?

Uh ? How you could make filesystem modules without dependency on VFS ???

> It's not official tarball vs all add-ons.

It is.

> It's core kernel and bunch of filesystems, some of them available in the
> official tarball.

Correct.

> Even if we say 'f*ck 3rd party modules' we still have all officialy supported
> filesystems on hands to fix.

Yes. And when next tarball will be made most of them will be fixed already.
At least important ones. With add-ons it's always catch-up :-((

> Parts of VFS are scattered over all filesystems. It's a permanent pain in
> ass both for VFS and for filesystem drivers. Code duplication is evil.
> Excessively wide interfaces are evil. And we are paing for that.

Interfaces changes sometimes. In case of Linux kernel interfaces changes
more often then anywhere alse (hm... may be interfaces in GNOME are changes
even faster sometimes :-) since binary compatibility are not goal of prime
developers (Linus and Alan at least :-)... With tarball it's not so big
problem: you always can recompile modules when switching to new kernels...
With splitted kernel this will become much bigger problem (when you download
new tarball it's not so strange that you should recompile your NTFS module;
if NTFS module will be separate package this will become FAQ #1:
"Why after upgrading kernel from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8 I'm no longer could access
my Ethernet card and NTFS partiton is not mountable" ?
since users are used to binary-only Windows modules nowadays where you could
use old drivers after applaing service pack or hotfix :-))