Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:57:24 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> "Easily" ? Are you joking ? With moves like planned move of rename() from
> filesystem-level to VFS-level are forced to redesign all modules (AFS peoples
> are heppy to hear about this move, I know :-))) ! So if module will be
> saparated from main kernel this will become mantainance nightmare (like PCMCIA
> just now).

Victor, in case you've missed it: rename() change is being done *not* to
screw modules up. Please, learn to read. BTW, do you realize that
dependency of modules on VFS is half of problem? It's not official tarball
vs all add-ons. It's core kernel and bunch of filesystems, some of them
available in the official tarball. Even if we say 'f*ck 3rd party modules'
we still have all officialy supported filesystems on hands to fix. Parts
of VFS are scattered over all filesystems. It's a permanent pain in ass
both for VFS and for filesystem drivers. Code duplication is evil.
Excessively wide interfaces are evil. And we are paing for that.