Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Nat Lanza (magus@cs.cmu.edu)
07 Feb 1999 12:12:19 -0500

Stuart Lynne <sl@fireplug.net> writes:

> Is there any compelling reason for being able to compile ethernet drivers
> into the main kernel? They work fine as modules. Ditto for serial, isdn,
> sound, etc.

Hi. My console's on a serial line. Modular serial support doesn't work
so well for me. And if I start net-booting or putting my root
filesystem on NFS, then modular-only network drivers are probably
going to make me sad.

Remember, one man's bloat is another man's necessary feature. Not
everyone runs linux on a standalone home machine with a monitor and
keyboard; some of us have racks full of headless machines, and some
have even stranger setups.

Also, when you start splitting up sources like that, you're bound to
have annoying "which kernels will work with this module package"
problems. We already have enough consistency problems; let's not make
it worse.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs