Re: Linux-2.2.2-pre2..

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:07:58 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>Uhhuh, just for fun, please apply this patch and tell me whether the
>problems go away or get worse.. In any case, it should make it a lot more
>repeatable (either repeatably solid, or repeatably crashing ;)

I just discovered the bug yesterday evening (but I had not the time to fix
it).

The bug is that do_tty_hanghup() does a lock_kernel() in a tq_scheduler
with a current->lock_depth > -1. So lock_kernel() does nothing there and
so do_tty_hangup() was racing with the process that run the schedule()
with the kernel lock just held.

I am going to fix now...

Andrea Arcangeli