Re: UMC UM8886BF IDE DMA not usable

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 22:12:57 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, David Monniaux wrote:

> I've tried to have 2.2.1, with or without the IDE-UDMA patches, to use my
> busmaster-capable IDE chipset.
>
> It refuses:
>
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.19
> UM8886BF: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 91
> UM8886BF: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> UM8886BF: dma_base is invalid (0x0000, BIOS problem), please report to
> <mj@ucw.cz>
> ide0: UM8886BF Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
> UM8886BF: dma_base is invalid (0x0000, BIOS problem), please report to
> <mj@ucw.cz>
> ide1: UM8886BF Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
>
> Now, there's NO switch in the BIOS that deals with UDMA. So there's no use
> telling me "just fiddle with the BIOS settings". :-)

I know there is not, so don't worry.

> The /proc/pci entry for the IDE chipset is the following:
> Bus 0, device 18, function 1:
> IDE interface: UMC UM8886BF (rev 16).
> Fast devsel. Master Capable. No bursts.
> Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x1f0 [0x1f0].
> Non-prefetchable unknown memory at 0x3f0 [0x3f6].
> Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x170 [0x170].
> Non-prefetchable unknown memory at 0x370 [0x376].

There is no address space for DMA-Busmaster.
Since you have this crazy animal, please try calling pci=reverse,
this suggestion is because your IDE chipset is setup last be cause of the
device numbering. There may be a chance that if your pci currently is
allowing another device to claim the io-space and thus a disable.
This is very unlikely, but painless and worth a try.

Would you send a copy of the pci-config space for review.

Just by chance can you run the machine under MSDOS and get the
DMA-busmastering functionall? If you can do this, I will send you a tool
to report the config space of all devices and then take stab at a
workaround.

> Regards,
> David
>

> -

Cheers,
Andre Hedrick
The (NEW) Linux IDE guy

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/

You just need a bigger hammer, or learn how to swing the one you have better.