Re: linux capabilities and ACLs

Wayne Schlitt (wayne@midwestcs.com)
05 Feb 1999 21:18:03 -0600

In <19990203213256.W309@mencheca.ch.genedata.com> Matthew Wilcox <Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com> writes:

> > Reserved
> > space exists primarily to allow fragmentation avoidance. Since
> > fragmentation is a FAQ, this deserves mention.
>
> I don't think it's the primary reason it exists, but I do agree this is one
> of its effects and I shall add this reason.

I think the primary reason it exists is because the BSD FFS has it,
and it seemed like a good idea. Whether it was believed that the
reason the FFS has it is for roots usage, or for disk fragmentation is
not clear. The primary reason that the BSD FFS has it, however,
clearly is to reduce fragmentation. The original papers talk about it
a fair amount and note that you should reserve at least 10%. Since
ext2 only reserves 5% by default, the fragmentation reason may well
have been missed.

Has anyone done testing on ext2 fragmentation like the BSD people did
for their FFS?

-wayne

--
Wayne Schlitt can not assert the truth of all statements in this
article and still be consistent.