Re: RMS at it again *sigh*

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
5 Feb 1999 14:10:51 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.05.9902030657240.2649-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>,
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I just read an article by RMS in which he is thinking of changing
>libraries over from the LGPL to the GPL. This will have the unwanted
>side-effect of driving commercial interests away from further ports of
>proprietary software (potentially deny these ports' future conversion to
>open source)

No, it simply means that the FSF will go skipping merrily down the
same path as the OSF did with X11. Eventually they'll reach the
brick wall, and then they'll have to hurry back to the start of the
path to catch up to the people who are continuing to work on the
more free version of the code.

>That man is starting to worry me. If he forces certain critical libraries
>such as glibc into the GPL instead of the current LGPL, it spells deep
>trouble for all.

Glibc critical? Ha! libc4.8 or fight!

____
david parsons \bi/ If the FSF wants to commit suicide, it's their code
\/ and they can do what they want with it.