Re: ipfwadm in kernel 2.2.1

Paul Schmidt (paul.schmidt@ssa.crane.navy.mil)
Fri, 05 Feb 1999 15:39:47 -0500

Fred Reimer wrote:

> Instead of ipfwadm -I -l try:
> ipchains -L
>
> Instead of ipfwadm -F -a accept ... try:
> ipchains -A forward -j ACCEPT ...

Or, if you've already got a script file that does multiple rules
to set up your system, use ipfwadm-wrapper instead of ipfwadm.

I put a bit of code at the beginning of my old script that does this:
====
#!/bin/bash
if [ "`(uname -r | cut -d. -f2)`" = "0" ]
then
echo "using ipfwadm"
IPFWADM=ipfwadm
else
echo "using ipfwadm-wrapper for ipchains"
IPFWADM=/sbin/ipfwadm-wrapper
fi
====
and changed (sed rules!) all the ipfwadm invocations to $IPFWADM :
====
# loopback interface
$IPFWADM -I -a accept -S 0.0.0.0/0 -D 127.0.0.1/32 -W lo
====

I did that back when I was trying out new kernels and might be
booting up either a new one or the old reliable 2.0.something.