Re: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on

Mark H. Wood (mwood@IUPUI.Edu)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:35:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Stephen Harris wrote:
> In a recent message, Alan Cox said:
> > If you want to make this work even better run a lot of 2.0 binaries on 2.2,
> > check they all still work. If not find out why. Similarly people should be
>
> I don't understand why Linux is taking so much flack here. Going from 2.0
> to 2.2 is a MAJOR CHANGE. Hell, even Solaris 2.4 programs don't run properly
> under Solaris 2.6 (and not even under 2.5.1 - try out the Lotus Notes 4.0
> client, for example).

Just because they couldn't do it doesn't mean it can't (or shouldn't) be
done. I knew people who had binaries compiled on VMS V1.x that still ran
on V5 or V6. We ran V4.4 through V6.0 here and I don't recall *ever*
having to recompile *anything* to keep it working. I still miss that kind
of stability.

Innovation is only valuable if it improves one's life; otherwise it's
just one more silly change to cope with.