Re: Kernel interface changes

Karl Kleinpaste (karl@justresearch.com)
05 Feb 1999 08:41:42 -0500

torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) writes:
> Quite frankly, I hope AFS dies a slow and painful death with people
> migrating to better alternatives (coda, whatever). Or that somebody
> makes an AFS client available in source form, either as a clone or
> through the original people.

AFS' death is not too likely. But there is a freely available clone...
http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/arla/
...which does quite well.

> As it is, what has AFS done for me lately? Nothing. So why should I
> care?

There are of course a couple thousand types of hardware out there
which no doubt do nothing for you personally. Yet support continues
to be added for them because others find them useful. Similarly,
while you personally don't use AFS, a big pile o' folks use it, need
it, because it has been entrenched in environments for many years.

arla solves this problem quite nicely. It has matured quite rapidly
in the last year or so. We've come to depend on it by now.