Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

Ray O'Connor (raymond@idsonline.com)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 01:56:58 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, John Fulmer wrote:

> I've been having a lot of problems with two K6-350's. If I run
> one at full speed it segfaults very regularly during compiles,
> and under load (like X with Netscape). I bumped it down to 333Mhz
> and it seems to be more stable. I have tried two different
> processors, different motherboards, different memory, and all
> combinations of bios/bus setups. My machine at home is better,
> but still a bit flaky. This has been with 2.0.36 and 2.1-2.2
> kernels.
>
> One thing, all these are using FIC VA-503+ motherboards, with VIA
> chipsets. I am really starting to wonder if Linux has a problem
> with these chipsets at high speeds and AMD processors. I haven't
> had any problem under Win95 (ack!) on the same machines. Also, I
> have seen a bunch of similar postings like this....

Good results here at 400Mhz: Linux 2.2.1 and Win98

K6-350 using FIC VA-503+ motherboard with 128M PC-100 sdram
bus at 100Mhz and multiplier 4x.

uptime
1:36am up 1 day, 39 min, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.00

uname -a
Linux bertha 2.2.1 #1 Mon Feb 1 23:14:16 EST 1999 i586 unknown

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 8
model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping : 12
cpu MHz : 400.923474
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips : 799.54

Ray O'Connor <rko@bellatlantic.net> <raymond@idsonline.com>