Re: udma still broken (2.2.1+aladdin 5)

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:54:58 -0600 (CST)

Message cut from an earlier reply to Leon, by me.

> > still doesnt work properly for the aladdin 5 pci ide chipset, as i can't
> > mount cdroms. mounting cdroms on stock 2.2.1 works.
>
> This tells you that DMA is not functional with the CDROM.
> Recompile with my patch and skip 'CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO' option.
>
> Add/Create to the append line of your /etc/lilo.conf
> append="ide0=dma"
>
> This will allow for the hard drives on ide0 to get DMA access while
> forcing ide1 to revert to PIO access.
>
> One can not easily make ALI play nicely with anything but HD's.
> All other ATAPI devices that report as possible DMA capable will cause
> errors.

Shaw,

The above is the correct method for handling ATAPI devices that report
errors. I suggest that you split the HD and CDROM to maintain the
stablity of DMA xfers. This is part of the problematic nature of the ALI
IV/V chipset based boards and Linux. This code was developed independent
of me, but tested enough to state that it is functional in most cases.
Until I get around to getting one of these to shake down hard and torture,
one will be required to patch until, or 2.3.X begins.

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Shaw Carruthers wrote:

> I have an Asus P5A with Aladdin chipset and although my CDROM works ok, I
> am seeing:
>
> Feb 4 01:41:13 shawc kernel: hdb: lost interrupt

The point is that this should not happen.